Follow & Subscribe to Resourceful Designer
A look back at 2023 and a look ahead to 2024.
Thank you for your continued interest in what I do at Resourceful Designer. I appreciate you more than you know. Many great resources are available for learning and growing as a designer, and I’m humbled that you chose to spend a bit of your valuable time with me.
I am continuing my annual tradition. This last podcast episode of the year is my Look Back, Look Ahead edition. It’s where I reflect and share my year as a design business owner. Then, I’ll look ahead at what I want to accomplish in 2024.
A Look Back at my 2023 goals.
At the end of 2022, I set these goals for myself.
ACCOMPLISHED: Create new partnerships to grow what I offer at Podcast Branding. It took me a while, but I did reach out a couple of weeks ago and connected with another person in my industry. I will partner with him in the new year to bring exciting new offers to my clients.
ACCOMPLISHED: Expand the Resourceful Designer Community to include more offerings than now. I'm happy with the growth of the Community this past year. Not only did we implement our Weekly Accountability Groups, but some of us got together for a live in-person retreat. We also held a few topic-driven video chats; however, not as many as I had hoped. Perhaps we can hold more next year.
EVEN: Do more consulting work. This was a poorly developed goal. I did consulting work with numerous clients this year. However, I'm unsure if I did more than in 2022. I'm calling this one a draw.
ACCOMPLISHED: Explore video as a content platform for Resourceful Designer and Podcast Branding. Although I didn't do any videos for Podcast Branding, I did release several Instagram Reels for Resourceful Designer. If you don't already, please follow me on Instagram.
ACCOMPLISHED: Increase the number of website clients on my web maintenance plan. I'm very happy with my growth in this area, as shown in my “By the Numbers” section.
By the Numbers from 2023
- I released 26 podcast episodes. This is the lowest in a calendar year since I launched the podcast. I put the show on hiatus for five months to take a break and refresh myself.
- It reached over 770k total episode downloads in 2023. That’s a 60k increase over last year.
- Resourceful Designer has listeners in 145 countries around the world.
- The three most downloaded episodes in 2023 are:
According to Spotify, episode 311 – Monetizing Your Design Skills was the most streamed episode, with 999% more listeners than my average episode. My listenership grew by 73% in 2023, with the most new listeners coming from New Zealand, United Kingdom, Poland, Malai and Australia.
My favourite Spotify stat is that 255 fans list Resourceful Designer in their Top 10 Podcasts. 157 fans have me in their Top 5. And 38 fans listed Resourceful Designer as their Top podcast of 2023. Thank you so much for that honour.
My design business
NOTE: I didn’t actively promote my design business in 2023. Instead, I concentrated on growing my other business, Podcast Branding. I continued working with existing clients but did not try attracting new ones.
- Worked on 31 design projects for 18 different clients.
- I didn't gain any new clients in 2023, but I didn't lose any.
- Despite working on fewer projects than the previous year, my revenue increased by 10% from 2022.
My Podcast Branding business continues to be my primary source of income.
- Worked on 82 different projects for 43 different clients.
- I had fewer new clients than in 2022, but more returning clients.
- Gross sales increased by 13%.
- Active Web Maintenance clients increased by 43%
- My monthly recurring revenue increased by 102%
A Look Ahead at my 2024 goals.
My previous goals will continue to carry over in the new year. Continue to grow the Resourceful Designer Community. Concentrate more on Podcast Branding and so forth.
New Goal for 2024.
- Increase monthly recurring revenue.
- Launch a new subscription-based website plan for Podcast Branding
- Promote brand consulting service for Podcast Branding
- Do more video content.
- Do even more in the Resourceful Designer Community
What about you?
Did you accomplish your goals for 2023? What are your goals for 2024?
- Are you a student getting ready to graduate? What are your goals once school is over?
- Are you still relatively new to the design world? What are your goals for honing your skills?
- Are you a veteran designer like I am? What are your goals for continued growth?
- Are you a designer working for someone else? Maybe you enjoy your job; perhaps you don’t. Either way, what are your future goals?
- Or perhaps you’re already a home-based designer, a freelancer if that’s the term you use; what goals do you have to grow your business?
Wherever you are in the world, whatever your skill level or situation, please take some time to look back at 2023 and consider your accomplishments and shortcomings.
Did you stop after your accomplishments? Or did you plow through them, happy with yourself but reaching even further? What about your shortcomings? Did they discourage you or create a sense of want even higher than before? Think about what prevented you from reaching those goals.
So long, 2023.
As 2023 comes to an end. I encourage you to reflect. Think about everything you’ve learned. Your struggles, the things you fell short on (be it your fault or just the state of the world) and your accomplishments. And come up with a plan to make 2024 your year of success.
I once heard a saying: “It’s easier to know where you’re going if you know where you’ve been.” This aptly applies to growing a design business. Knowing and reflecting on where you came from will help you get where you want to be.
To help with your planning, perhaps you should listen to episode 55 of the podcast Setting Goals For Your Design Business.
I’ll be back in 2024 with more advice for starting and growing your design business. Until then, I wish you a Merry Christmas and a wonderful holiday season. And, of course, no matter what goals you set for yourself in the new year, always remember to Stay Creative.
What are your goals for 2024?
Let me know by leaving a comment for this episode.
I would love to hear from you. You can send me questions and feedback using my feedback form.
I want to help you.
Running a graphic design or web design business all by yourself isn't easy. If there are any struggles you face running your design business, please reach out to me. I'll do my best to help you by addressing your issues in a future blog post or podcast episode here at Resourceful Designer. You can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org
My Voice-Over Guy.
Resourceful Designer podcast intros are performed by the amazing Wayne Henderson of MediaVoiceOvers.com. Wayne is available to help you with any voice-over work you require.